I’m really, really gutted to report this, especially at such a late stage, but the US publication date for Red Country is dropping back three weeks to the 13th November.
UK publication remains unaffected.
Turnaround was a lot tighter on this book than it has been previously but, as far as I was aware, I and my editors on both sides of the pond had consulted the relevant people and quite carefully worked out a schedule for delivery of the manuscript which would give everyone time to get the books ready for publication. We then stuck to that schedule and delivered in what we thought was good time, but once the manuscript was turned in it gradually became apparent that there had been one or more serious miscalculations or miscommunications somewhere and there wasn’t going to be enough time for proof-reading, setting, and the various necessary file jiggery-pokery to get the books printed and distributed across the US for the 23rd October publication date. Believe me when I say we’ve done everything possible to rush things through but the very soonest we can make the book available is now the 13th November.
I hear from a couple of people that amazon.com have emailed them to say delivery of preorders will be delayed until Nov 28th – Dec 4th. I suspect they’re being cautious and I very much hope that books will get to readers a good deal sooner. The 13th November should now be a firm date for Red Country to be available across the US.
Not much else to say, except that I’m very, very sorry for the delay.